Saturday, September 5, 2009

Our Summer :D

I can't believe it, but summer is ending quickly. I keep thinking to myself that I don't know where it went but then I look back on all of the pictures we've taken this season and I guess we've been staying pretty busy - no wonder time flies! I decided that it would be easiest to recap the summer with a bunch of slide shows and a little "blurb" about each thing so here ya go:

Top of Utah 1/2 Marathon
So this was a beautiful trail. It was gradually downhill for the 1st 6/7 miles through Logan, UT canyon and the last little bit was mostly level through some neighborhoods and ending at a park. Mishelle, Page, and Amanda all did great. Skyler was there at the finish line to take pictures. He even got one of Brother Steadman who is also in our ward. I did not have the best experience with this one, which was VERY, VERY disappointing. I made it to mile 9 and had to get a ride to the finish line - I was SO sick. When I found Skyler at the finish line he had the camera ready and the cutest look on his face and I could tell he was searching for me to be coming down the finish line soon...I burst into tears :( He knew just what I needed and took me in his arms. I was so glad he was there. The only thing that is helping me to get over what I am still struggling to not call a failure is that there was absolutely NOTHING I could do or could have done differently. Hopefully I can figure out what went on and I will beat my one and only 1/2 marathon time from Hobble Creek of 2hr11min.

Happy 80th Grandpa!
My Grandpa Muhlestein turned 80 this year - wow! He keeps joking that he doesn't feel a day over 65 LOL We threw a party for him with all of my aunts, uncles, cousins, and some of Grandpa's siblings. As decoration there were pictures of Grandpa from his lifetime all over the picnic tables. They also had a table set up with some of his memorabilia. The birthday cake was awesome (thanks aunt Amy). It had a screen print pic of Grandpa and then there were things like tools and a hairpiece - things that remind us all of grandpa - because he's a carpenter and used to be a hair piece salesman. My job was to make the "Family Tree". Then we all traced and cut out our hands on green paper and wrote a birthday message to Grandpa. It was a nice visual of all of the people that have been brought into this world in part because of Grandpa - and it made a cute backdrop. To top off the night some of Grandpa's siblings and those that grew up with him, as well my dad, told stories they remember about Grandpa. I liked the story his sister Lily told about the time Grandpa took her around in a little red wagon and tried to sell her for 5 cents. I also like the story she told about Grandpa and his batman costume. Those are wonderful memories to have. Look forward to another 80 years Grandpa! ;)

Well at the party I took a pic of my cousins Chloe, Lauren, and Malorie. As I was taking the pic I said "Hey, something looks familiar." When I got home I found a pic from many years ago of these same cute girls! - same order and everything! I thought that was pretty fun.


Camping and Fishing
Skyler, being the great event organizer that he is, planned a fun camping and fishing trip up Provo Canyon with his friend Jake and his wife Alyssa. A couple of PT's Skyler worked with at the VA hospital came too (Liz and Micah- but we didn't get pics with them) and they were fun to get to know also. We slept in the most random camping spot in grass that reached up to my hip before we smashed it down with our tents. It rained on us a bit, but we didn't let that stop us from having smores and peach cobbler (Skyler's trademark camping desert). We only got in trouble once with the cops who thought we might be some youngsters getting plastered in the mountains. We were all just about to go to bed when the cops came and we were just glad that they didn't tell us to pack up camp! We didn't catch a single fish even though we could see them jumping in the river. I did however see a Black Footed Ferret - that was random and SO cute. Overall it was one of those simple and nice get-aways that we don't get enough of :)

Delta UT -July 18th
Skyler's cousin Jacob Porter got married to a girl from Delta, UT. I had never heard of Delta before, but apparently it is only a couple hours from us here in SLC. What this meant was that we got to go to their reception. This was a lot of fun for us. We got to see some of Skyler's side of the family including G'ma and G'pa Porter and Rodney and Lisa. It was fun to see some of that side of the family without having to travel for 11 hours - only 2! LOL Unfortunately we were so busy talking that we didn't get any pics until Skyler and I stopped on the way home at the only open restaurant at 9p on a Saturday in Delta. We were just being silly, but that's us!

Zions Trip
For the 4th of July Skyler, me, and my BFF (besides Skyler) Amanda all went to Zions National Park and enjoyed some heat (which we did NOT get the entire month of June). Amanda was such a sport ;) to come with us married folk for some cheap-ish fun. The weather was great! We hiked The Narrows (those pics aren't scanned to the comp yet) and Angels Landing. It was dusty and hot, but beautiful. Luckily the Narrows didn't flash flood until the day after we hiked it. That kind of put a damper on our tubing the Virgin River idea - the water looked just like the chocolate river in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" LOL So instead we just snuck into a swimming pool at a local camper "resort." Good Times!


Happy Birthday Dad!
My dad turned 49 this year - only one more until the BIG 5-0! We made sure to get him some manly gifts like tools and earplugs - he can always use those!



Making a picture frame
I was just proud of this idea. I got a bunch of different scrapbook papers and tore them randomly and glued them to the part surrounding the pics in this frame. It turned out really cute, I think. And it is so fun to look at all of the things Skyler and I have been able to experience together.



Ward Campout
The ward campout was fun. Skyler and I got to teach everyone a new and hilarious game. We will still never think of certain people the same i.e. Jerry Hatch "The Sex Kitten"...yes, I did say WARD camp-out...you don't want to know LOL

This video is hilarious. Lets just say we now always check EVERY pocket in the tent before we pack up.

Here is Skyler and I going down the zip line.


BABYSITTING THE GIRLS
I started the summer out right when I got to be the nanny for my nieces Abby and Alyssa. It was so much fun to be there with them that much. They are both so cute and fun!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys had a crazy but great summer. Wish we could have been there to hang out with you. Well, I guess we did see you in June, but it wasn't long enough. Maybe next summer right. Hope you guys are doing great. We love you!

    ReplyDelete