Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Series of Unexpected (but not unfortunate) Events

1.
My retainer no longer fits correctly despite religious wear-age from the day my braces came off
2.
I found out that my insurance covers (and has covered) orthodontia
3.
I found out that my insurance cuts off coverage at the age of 24 (Happy 24th Birthday to me on December 1st)
4.
I was squeezed in today for what I thought was a consultation to discuss my options to fix the problems I have with my teeth/jaw
5.
The secretary apparently scheduled me for a retainer fitting...
6.
Consequently, over the course of 3 hours the Dr. who, granted, was very nice, knowledgeable, and did not make me feel rushed, flitted from other patients, to me, to other patients to me (luckily I had an open schedule today)
7.
I'm getting braces...again...oh, and that is just prep for the jaw surgery I need...

I can't believe it! First of all I walked into that appointment thinking "Ladi-da, I'll just get Invisaline and that will fix everything, ho-hum" Apparently I was a little naive. It shouldn't surprise me that I have this structural defect - my mom had the exact same problem and surgery I'm needing and my original braces were in effort to avoid this step. I guess it was so long ago that I had braces or talked to anyone about this that I thought the problem was gone *magic*

Second, I feel like I'm reverting back to age 12. You would think that being older and more "mature" ;) would keep a person from feeling insecure about getting the dreaded braces, but I can't help myself - the feelings are all coming back to me.

So not only is this happening, but it's happening quick. I got a workup done then and there at the office today. Then I got spacers placed to get ready for the braces that I will be getting *drum-roll* next Wednesday! Ahhhhh! I thought for sure I was going to have a breakdown when I got in the car, but I didn't (still don't know how I avoided that).

Of course the biggest stress-er is the money issue ~ I don't need to go into it too much, but anyone who has had/paid for braces knows they are expensive and even with insurance the cost definitely won't go unnoticed. Luckily since my problem is a functional problem (the doctor says I'm probably only using maybe 1/2 my teeth right now) insurance SHOULD cover the surgery portion when the time comes. The definitive "will cover" won't be ultimately approved until I get closer to the actual surgical event.

So these have been the events of my day. I'm still stunned, questioning myself about the triviality of it all. Luckily have a wonderful husband who is supporting this decision ~ thanks Sweetie <3

4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so sorry! At least it will fix the problem, a means to an end, right? And you'll get to have festive colored bands again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh that's crazy lyndsey! I'm glad you are not scared. I cried when I had to get braces... and since I have not worn my retainer for a while, I should probably wonder what the orthodontist would say now. anyways, you can do it! and your teeth are important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not the place for this (I know) but I want to make sure you see this (we need to exchange emails). What about Alex Pettyfer for Peeta? I think it is a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a pretty crazy series of events. Now it will be even more exciting to see you next time you come down. In the post that you posted after this your hair looks different too for some reason, not in a bad way of course. It almost looks longer and more blond and straighter or something. It's like a new you. I guess I just haven't seen you guys in a long time. Hope everything goes well though with the braces and then the surgery. See you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete