Saturday, March 6, 2010

Duchesne Adventures

Let me start out by stating that I think my dad has gone crazy. Okay, maybe crazy isn't the right word, but what do you call someone who is willing to go on a two hour drive to the middle of nowhere, in the winter, in a Ford Focus, and then walk over a mile in snow which reaches at LEAST up to your knees and sometimes up to your thighs while carrying probably 50 lbs worth of tools and supplies to work on a cabin that takes at least 2 hours to heat up with the fireplace? Okay, ya, crazy is the only word I can come up with! lol This was the adventure Skyler and I got to be a part of the other week. My dad has been working on his cabin in Duchesne, UT for a few years now and he is itching to get it done this year - hence the winter crazies. I guess it doesn't help that I despise the cold. Partly because Skyler and I don't own any proper snow equipment. Despite the conditions, we were able to smile and laugh about it...well, it took me until I was un-thawing by the fireplace (okay, I'm a wimp). We did get quite a bit of work done. But Skyler and I haven't gone back since. I promise it's only because we've been so busy :)
Here is Skyler making the final stretch up the 'driveway' to the cabin
And here's my "crazy" dad - Love you dad!
I didn't realize we would be hiking in snow up to my thighs so I wasn't quite prepared wearing jeans and sneakers. I was soaking wet when we got to the cabin (not a good way to start the day). Luckily there were some garbage bags with sheets and towels and I found an extra pair of my dad's socks lying around. I stripped down and strutted my stuff in a bed sheet and grocery bags tied on my feet with towels and washcloths stuffed in them to stay warm while all my things dried.

I'm sure Skyler would do it again, but as for me I think I'll wait until the snow thaws before I head there again - no offense dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment